Duke Special

Tuesday 9 December 2008

A tribute to the late, great Oliver Postgate


I was deeply saddened by the news of Oliver Postgate's death reported on the news this morning.


As a child brought up in the 70s and 80s I was raised on Bagpuss, Ivor the Engine and the Clangers. Even my dolly obsession can be partly placed on the shoulders of 'Smallfilms'; first with Madeline the rag doll in Bagpuss, but most influentially with the animation 'Tottie: the Story of a Dollshouse' based on the wonderful book by Rumer Godden.


Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin were the fathers of the 'Golden Age of Childrens TV' and I will always be grateful for the enrichment they gave to my childhood, and the joy of storytelling and wonder that I still treasure to this day. And I am happy to say that my own daughter also enjoys their work even now.


I'd like to add though, that wonderful as this work is, I was unaware if the political and social campaigning and commentary that Mr Postgate dedicated his later life to. I would certainly recommend that you take a look at his own website at http://www.oliverpostgate.co.uk/ if you haven't already.


Holly xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment